Lake Pareloup - Viewing point

In this article I promise to show you an exceptional view over the Lake Pareloup! And it's only a few kilometers from the campsite.

A friend of mine who doesn't know Aveyron or Pareloup Lake came to visit and I showed her where I live and also where I work. We were sitting in the outdoor theater at the campsite when she asked me "Is the lake big?". Well, I said, you don't realize how big it is.

Now for a quick anecdote: during my first season at Le Caussanel campsite, a couple of hikers asked me if they could walk around the edge of the lake. Cofidently, I told them yes. My colleagues quickly sent me to catch up with them - the circumference of the lake is 130km long!


When you're looking from the campsite (photo above), you're not aware of the lake's 1290ha surface area so in this article I will take you to an exceptional viewpoint. It's rather rare, because there aren't any others like this one all around the lake's 130 m² bank.

We parked our car in the car park of Vernhes which is less than 10 minutes' drive from the campsite. Going up into the ancient village we pass across a cross on our left.
The first half doesn't pose any problem for us. We follow the GR62 (red and white markers) until the hamlet of Villefranquette. We walk along the road for several meters to join a path that goes up through the forest.


After that, the path climbs upwards. It's very pleasant because we're in the shade and at the end of the climb we're rewarded by the view.


An orientation table show us, among other things, where Le Caussanel campsite is located (photo above). This walk is recommended for watching the sunset.


I read on the website of Salles-Curan that the Virgin of the Lakes was built in 1956 by Monsieur Duroux to protect the lakes. It's lovely to sit on the bench and imagine how she watches from the pedestal as the landscape changes over the seasons.

Who's thinking of trying this walk when they come to the campsite?

Photo by Maayke

Commentaires

Articles les plus consultés